- Brad Taylor notes that Long Division: The Next Big Threat to Democracy. A video, which features Gordon Tullock, does a pretty good job of explaining the irrationality of voting.
- James Otteson considers Wise Words: Mill's On Liberty. This year marks the 150th anniversary of John Stuart Mill's powerful essay On Liberty. Some works do not hold up well after so long a duration; this one does.
- Mario Rizzo asks What Ended The Great Recession? If there is recovery soon, the public will no doubt attribute it to Team Obama. But then when the inflation occurs they may well do the same. It is also likely that such inflation will be accompanied by high unemployment because the recovery will have barely begun. Welcome back to the 1970s.
- Greg Mankiw on Keeping Things in Perspective.
- MacDoctor on Never Enough. It is a truism that Health is a giant black hole that swallows government funding and always wants more.
- Will Wilkinson on Bruce Bartlett on Liberaltarianism. One can believe that the state may legitimately act only to protect liberty. But that does not imply that the state must do anything in its power that might protect or enhance liberty.
1 day ago